Johnson's Door County Fish & Shrimp Coupons and Deals
Gustof's oldest son Alick joined him there, and except for two older daughters who stayed in Sweden, they were soon followed by the rest of the family. Alick Johnson made the village of Gills Rock his home in Door County. He began commercial fishing in the cold waters of Green Bay and married Isabel Voight from the Voight-Seaquist families. In 1909 they built a home at the top the hill from their fishing sheds and dock where they raised for sons and two daughters. The fishing dock later became the landing for the ferries to Washington Island and the old house is now our summer home. The entire family became commercial fishermen except for the oldest son, Arnold, who after a tour with the Coast Guard at Plum Island decided he preferred dry land and moved to northern Indiana. There he married Alice and raised two sons, Tom and Jerry. Arnold worked in the meat packing and commercial refrigeration businesses before opening Johnson's Fish & Shrimp in Lake Station, Indiana in 1947. The store specialized in smoked and fresh fish supplied from the commercial fishermen in the family. Arnold and Alice moved to Lombard, Illinois in 1967 where the second Johnson's was opened and operated by their son Tom. The store on Roosevelt Road featured smoked and fresh fish, fried fish and seafood and a full line of pizza. The menu changed over the years, and the original smoke house was last used in 1979 and removed when the store was remodeled in 1989.